Cambodia urges Thailand to avoid premature border claims
Synopsis: Cambodia calls for evidence-based dialogue following disputed claims regarding cross-border incidents.
Thailand has been urged to avoid making premature claims over alleged Cambodian drone activities and a recent landmine incident involving a Thai soldier, with Cambodia stressing that sensitive border issues must be addressed through established bilateral mechanisms, verifiable evidence, existing agreements and international law.
The Cambodian Ministry of National Defence said on Monday that it had not received any formal protest from Thailand regarding alleged Cambodian drone activities along the Cambodia-Thailand border, despite reports that Thai authorities had raised the issue.
The clarification followed a report by Thai Enquirer quoting Thai Ministry of Defence spokesman Rear Admiral Surasant Kongsiri as saying that Thailand had lodged formal protests over Cambodian drones operating along the border while bilateral negotiations remained stalled.
The Cambodian ministry spokesperson said Cambodia had yet to receive any formal protest letter from Thailand concerning the allegations.
“Any allegations concerning the sensitive situation along the border should be based on verifiable facts and evidence and should be addressed through the existing official mechanisms between the two countries, rather than making premature conclusions through the media,” the spokesperson said.
The ministry reiterated Cambodia’s dedication to achieving lasting peace and stability along the border, stressing that this requires genuine resolve and full respect for international law, the ASEAN Charter and all bilateral agreements.
The government and the Ministry of National Defence also reaffirmed their commitment to fully implement existing accords, including the Joint Statement of the Third Special Meeting of the Cambodia-Thailand General Border Committee on December 27, 2025, and the Joint Statement on the Peace Deal on October 26, 2025.
The ministry said continued implementation of the agreements was aimed at facilitating a swift return to normalcy, peace and lasting stability along the border.
Separately, a Cambodian Ministry of National Defence official urged Thailand not to link a landmine incident involving a Thai soldier to Cambodia, stressing that demining operations must be conducted strictly within Thailand’s territory and should not be used to expand military deployments or alter the status of disputed areas.
The remarks followed reports by Thai media that Thai soldier Channarong Wongchana was injured after stepping on a landmine while Thai forces were conducting clearance operations in the An Seh area of Preah Vihear province, which Thailand refers to as the Chong An Ma area in Ubon Ratchathani province.
The Thai Army reportedly claimed that Cambodian forces had previously crossed into the area and established a position before Thai troops pushed them out and secured the area as a restricted danger zone because of landmine risks. Thai mine-clearance personnel were subsequently assigned to inspect and clear the area.
According to Thai reports, Channarong stepped on a suspected PMN-2 mine at the O Prakasanae operational base, which Thai personnel said had previously been used as a Cambodian position.
Nearly 30 personnel had entered the area before the incident, but Channarong was the only soldier injured.
The Cambodian official, however, said Thailand should not link incidents involving its soldiers stepping on landmines to Cambodia, particularly in areas that have not yet been jointly surveyed and demarcated.
The official said Thai demining operations should remain within Thailand and must not extend into Cambodian territory, undemarcated areas, or areas Cambodia considers to be under illegal Thai occupation.
The official also warned that mine clearance should not be used as a justification to expand military deployments, establish new facts on the ground or legitimise what Cambodia considers illegal occupation.
“Mine clearance does not create sovereignty, and occupation by force does not create territorial rights,” the official said.
Meanwhile, the Cambodian Liaison Group recently facilitated a field visit by the ASEAN Observer Team in Cambodia (AOT-KH), led by the Head of Mission from the Philippines, to observe, verify and report on the situation along the Cambodia-Thailand border in a residential area in Preah Vihear province.
The area in Choam Ksan district comprises 114 civilian households whose homes have been fully affected, with 511 residents, including 268 women, who remain unable to return to their homes, according to the Ministry of National Defence.
The ministry said the affected residences belonged to local civilians and were damaged during fighting in December 2025.
According to the ministry, the area was subjected to Thai military airstrikes involving F-16 fighter jets and heavy artillery fire in December 2025, causing severe damage to civilian homes, personal property and infrastructure.
“These attacks resulted in severe damage and destruction to civilian homes, personal property and civilian infrastructure, leaving many residents unable to safely return to their normal livelihood,” the ministry said.
Cambodia continues to support the AOT and has stressed the importance of strengthening its role and mandate to conduct on-site observations to verify the full and effective implementation of the ceasefire, according to the ministry. It said such field verification was essential to promoting transparency, accountability and mutual trust between Cambodia and Thailand.
-Khmer Times-





