Grand News Asia Close

Suggestions offered for monument to border clash fallen

ដោយ៖ Morm Sokun ​​ | 3 ម៉ោងមុន English ទស្សនៈ-Opinion ព័ត៌មានជាតិ 1026
Suggestions offered for monument to border clash fallen A memorial is planned for the men and women who lost their lives during last year’s border clashes. Supplied

#National

Analysts have offered their opinions on a recently announced memorial for the men and women who gave their lives in the border clashes of last July and December. One popular commentator has suggested that a memorial be established at the site of the former Pochentong Airport.

Prime Minister Hun Manet announced on May 15 that he has instructed Minister of National Defense Tea Seiha and General Nem Sowath, director-general of the General Department of Policy and Foreign Affairs, to study the ideal location for a monument that will honour the spirits of the fallen.

The prime minister noted that while images of the “Thai invasion” will be inscribed on the Win-Win Monument, a separate memorial will be built to serve as a permanent reminder for future generations.

Youk Chhang, ambassador to the Cabinet of His Majesty, the King of Cambodia, and director of the Documentation Center of Cambodia (DC-Cam) — who has worked extensively on historical memory — told The Post that he believed the memorial should be built at the former Pochentong Airport.

He explained that the location is not only close to the centre of the capital but is also a vital historical site which is indispensable to the history of the Kingdom’s development.

Youk Chhnag, director of the Documentation Centre of Cambodia (DC-Cam), has offered this suggestion. Supplied

“The airport was built on the site of an airfield that was used by the Japanese during their occupation of Cambodia during World War II. In addition, May 3 marks the 85th anniversary of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk’s coronation.

“The airfield served also as an important hub used by King Sihanouk, particularly after Cambodia’s independence in 1953. The site is a major historical, cultural and political landmark and there is no better place for a memorial of this type,” he said.

He suggested that the design of the structure needs to reflect at least three key elements or themes. First, the structure must symbolise, speak to or otherwise relate to elements or structure of the Preah Vihear temple, which stands as a strategic centre of and symbol for Cambodia’s historic struggle against Thailand.

“Second, the site must speak to the sacrifices of the military, police, civil servants and their families who dedicated their lives to the defence of the nation and the preservation of peace.

“Finally, the site must invite not only remembrance and respect for the past, but also a dialogue about the future and what is required to find enduring peace,” he said.

Kin Phea, Director of the International Relations Institute at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, also shared his thoughts.

He said he strongly supports the idea of creating a memorial for fallen soldiers. He believed such a monument would serve as a reminder for Khmers to remember and be grateful for their heroism, and as a warning for future generations to remain vigilant and prepared so as not to let history repeat itself.

He suggested that beyond a monument, a full-scale war museum should be established.

Phea asked that it feature photographs of the “heroic men and women who gave their lives for the cause of protecting Cambodia’s sovereignty, territorial integrity and ancestral heritage, as well as the lives of its citizens”.

“In addition, we should collect the remains of enemy weaponry used during the invasion, including captured vehicles and tanks. We should compile photographs, videos, interviews and artefacts from bombed hospitals, homes, pagodas and other sites that were struck,” he said.

He emphasised the need for clear documentation of Thai violations and the training of guides to lead visitors through the museum.

Phea believed that the architectural style must represent Khmer cultural and artistic identity, carrying a message that reminds all Cambodian citizens to remember the past and prepare themselves to ensure history does not repeat itself.

-Phnom Penh Post-


PHOTO:
1- A memorial is planned for the men and women who lost their lives during last year’s border clashes. Supplied
2- Youk Chhnag, director of the Documentation Centre of Cambodia (DC-Cam), has offered this suggestion. Supplied

អត្ថបទទាក់ទង